Friday, March 24, 2006

How long should my Revver video be?

I'm going to be hypocritical here, because I sometimes create videos up to 2 minutes. But to arrive at the optimal duration of a Revver video, I think we can adapt the martini rule (one's too few, three's too many).

I have to say, I think it's 20-30 seconds. Anything less and it's probably a mistake or a photo uploaded as a video. Anything exceeding two minutes is going to have to be really compelling. Once you're up to 4 (and I've seen some that are as high as 20) you can forget it. Who would possibly last to the ad frame? You need to have pretty good packaging to get past the 4-5 minute range: Example, the Geek Show.

I don't have Revver stats, but that won't stop me from making some up:
1) The videos getting the most impressions are those between 20-30 seconds
2) Clips under a minute get twice the ad clicks as those over a minute
3) Videos over 5 minutes are viewed 50% less than those under 5 minutes.

Maybe Revver can post a few tips based on the data they have access to about user preferences? It would help us content creators better meet the needs of our mutual audience. And I'm still liking the idea of Revver flying the most loyal Revverites to California for a boondoggle. Who's with me?

5 Comments:

At 3/24/2006 10:03 AM, Blogger Get Paid For Your Videos said...

Nalts,

You are correct on your assumptions and your statistics are probably correct. I know when I search the Revver videos looking for videos to put on my site, I try to choose the ones that are a minute or less. Although I had to get rid of my views script cause I can't get it to work with the new PHP scripts I'm using; the 2 weeks worth of clicks I was able to interpret bore out your assumptions to a tee.

As far as the Revverite Convention... Count me in ! :)

Fuzzy

 
At 3/24/2006 4:15 PM, Anonymous Dawn Westlake said...

The "red chair" is ready to receive the Revverites here in SoCal! I say we all jam into it for a future "red chair" episode.
Anyone play the flute?
Or, better yet...we can sing "Kum-ba-REV, my vid, Kum-ba-REV...someone's posting, Rob, Kum-ba-REV! Someone's clickin' on my ad, Kum-ba-REV! Oh, Rob, Kum-ba-REV!" ;-)

 
At 3/24/2006 4:17 PM, Anonymous Dawn Westlake said...

P.S. And no...that song is NOT fair use. ;-)

 
At 3/24/2006 5:40 PM, Blogger Marquisdejolie said...

Followed by a little something from The Red Hot Chili Peppers asking folks to look at our stuff:
GIVEITAPLAY
GIVEITAPLAY
GIVEITAPLAY
GIVEITAPLAY NOW!

 
At 3/25/2006 12:24 PM, Anonymous Rob said...

Nalts - I think it's more like 40 secs, 4MB. By the way, we have an e-mail for you guys to send all your great ideas. It's ideas_at_revver.com. (replace _at_ with @). Fuzzy, I'd love to hear more about your PHP scripts. E-mail us there.

We are also putting together a Revver forum, where we'll gather all the FAQs, great user ideas, and various Revver-talk into a central area. Looking for folks interested in getting involved with the whole community aspect of that. Let me know if anyone is down to get involved... It's not a convention, but its a start.

Keep posting.

Rob

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home