Thursday, March 30, 2006

Top Rated Section of Revver: Getting Stale

A Revverberation Reader writes...

I was wondering if the elite who are listed in the "Top Rated" bar could do me a favor: change your thumbnail once in a while if you're gonna be up there on the splash page a long time. I had a nightmare last night that Dawn Westlake came out of her thumbnail at me like that little girl in "The Ring." (James Jarvis)

If you read Revverberation regularly, you probably see the homepage of Revver more than the Revver editors and employees. So there are actually two points here:
1) Whether by accident or on purpose, any video that sits on the homepage for long should change its thumbnail for two reasons. First, we get sick of certain images. Second, your chances of getting a repeat visitor to your video increases. I just found that "America's Funniest Bloopers" somehow made top rating, so I just changed the thumbnail.
2) Clearly the Top Rated section is broken. My worst video ever has almost 1200 views and a 2.16 rating, but it still has a place on the Top Rated charts. I think Revver actually fired the guy that was in charge of the ratings functionality and the "Top Rated" criteria. Here he is caught on film...



P.S. It's ironic to hear that Revver is giving Jarvis nightmares, considering that 74.4 percent of my nightmares are a direct result of watching his deeply disturbing but compelling pieces. All 323 of them. With that kind of frequency, he's got two of his own self-created tags- jarvis and yildiz. But don't try this at home. I've been tagging a bunch of mine with the word "zump" so I could own the last "popular tag" and it hasn't worked.

10 Comments:

At 3/30/2006 2:47 AM, Blogger toxic_i said...

Laugh Out LOud

 
At 3/30/2006 8:47 AM, Anonymous Dawn Westlake said...

Show biz is tough, kids...With an Emmy Award-winning art director AND an amazing singer/songwriter, I'm getting beaten by a monkey picking nits out of his cellmate's backside, so don't worry...I think the rating system is "working"...obviously, America is speaking! ;-)
As for the "Ring" nightmares...I know that actress, and she gives great backrubs. Sweet dreams, Jarv...;-)

 
At 3/30/2006 11:20 AM, Blogger Marquisdejolie said...

Hee hee. I resemble these remarks. But hey, I've got a video (V.A. Liars!) that somehow got a 4.6 rating this week and it's not in the 'Top Rated' section, so something's broke.

Thanks for the 'zump' idea, Kevin. I just added 'zardoz' to the 'Popular Tags' box.

 
At 3/30/2006 1:21 PM, Anonymous AquaDad said...

I gave VA Liars a high mark recently because I think it just reflected the madness of what it must be like to deal with a bureaucracy like the V.A.

As for the rating system, somebody's asleep at the wheel.

Has anybody sent any ideas in to Revver using that Ideas e-mail mentioned I think by Rob at Revver?

I did and I got an e-mail back saying the moderator has to approve it and it said he hasn't approved it because I'm a non-member? What am I a non-member of? Maybe I used my work e-mail and they didn't recognize me? Where would it be posted anyway, I don't see that Revver has a forum?

Oh well. (sorry I went off topic)

 
At 3/30/2006 2:05 PM, Anonymous Dawn Westlake said...

To Jarv:
Just watched "V.A. Liars!" AWESOME FILM! My aunt has done thousands and thousands of hours of volunteer work for the patients in V.A. Hospitals in her area over the last 50 years (she turns 80 in April and is STILL volunteering), so I am very familiar with the topic. I'll put it out into the dream universe that you get more than a back rub from the Ring Girl. ;-)
Again...in all seriousness...keep up the wonderfully moving, thoughtful and innovative filmmaking.

 
At 3/31/2006 7:00 AM, Blogger Nalts said...

I agree... James subconcious. Although I'm not sure I'd want to live there, it's a really cool place to visit.

Here is "VA Liars," one of his >300 videos on Revver. My other recent favorite is the video of him catching people fishing near his property...

http://www.revver.com/video/17979

 
At 3/31/2006 10:20 AM, Anonymous rob said...

Rob here. We've redone the logic on the top videos to be more of a "most popular" area. We'll be continuing to adjust in attempts to get as many videos out there into the world as possible. Your input is always appreciated!

 
At 4/01/2006 12:32 AM, Blogger Marquisdejolie said...

Ah, Nalts, you liked the "What's Going On Here" vid, eh? Actually, it wasn't my property. I'm sorta squatting there. I thought the irony of a squatter worrying about what other potential squatters were doing on the same piece of pondfront was too fun not to do, but I'm plugging here.

Thanks, all, for the kind thoughts about the V.A. To its credit, the V.A. DID pay my way through 7 years of college under the Disabled Veterans Vocational Rehabilitation Act and they HAVE been sending me a hundred dollars a month to live on for the last 30 years . . . I just can't seem to get them to adjust for inflation AND it seems like if one is NOT a drug addict, the V.A. loses interest.

 
At 4/01/2006 2:07 AM, Blogger Nalts said...

It's even funnier now with the explanation.

So I've got money on the fact that the VA will eventually send someone out to see if they can address your concerns... here's an example of how a company (grant that's different from a government bureacracy) learned that it takes 100 happy customers to make up for one miserable one with a mission and a computer:

http://www.businessblogconsulting.com/2004/09/engadget_a_href.html

 
At 4/01/2006 2:28 AM, Blogger Marquisdejolie said...

Couldn't get your link to work, but I found another example of what you're saying:

http://www.starbucked.com/index.php?page=tv_news_clips&choice=qt_highspeed.html

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home