Saturday, April 01, 2006

How do you spell it? Rever? Revver? Revher?

I like the name Revver. It's simple and implies speed. But I'm endlessly surprised with how hard it is for people to remember or spell. How many times have you, dear Revver posters, told a friend about your stuff, and days later they say "can you send me the link?" or "how do you spell it again"?

Then if they manage to make it to Revver, finding your videos on Revver is another complex milestone. Even if they search your username, there's no guarantee they'll find it. And if other people tag using your name, they'll find a mess o' stuff. And then there's my family that are lucky if they can get on the Internet much less use a search tool and remember my userID).

So what do you do? I guess send them to Revver.com/user/you (example- http://www.revver.com/user/nalts/)? But who's going to remember that?

So here's my solution that I baked for myself, and want to share with others. I just parked "IForgotTheDomain.com" and have it redirecting to a page on Cubebreak that provides convenient hyperlinks to my stuff and the videos of some of the regular posters to Revverberation.com. I'm not trying to grab 20% affiliate fees as a passthrough or hijack your visitors (although I did sneak a CubeBreak logo on the page since I'm using that site to host this page). You can tell me how you want it setup.

Check it out: www.IForgotTheDomain.com.

Now you can send people to that URL (who can't remember or spell it?) as a last resort. Right now I have it pointing to your USERID, but if you want I can change it to a certain tag that you use exclusively (at which point you can add your affiliate feeand get an extra 20%). Keep in mind that sending them to your USERID is safer than to a specific tag, because sooner or later some idiot is going to start tagging their videos with your words to steal your traffic. Again- two choices, and e-mail me your preference at nalts at cubebreak.com:
1) The USERID. Example: www.revver.com/user/nalts/ (can't add affiliate tag)
2) The Tag. Example: http://www.revver.com/tags/cubebreak/3331/

Having said all this, it's possible that the "I forgot" or "I can't find it" excuse is a red herring for "I have other more important things than watching your videos, nerd."

1 Comments:

At 4/01/2006 5:09 AM, Blogger Marquisdejolie said...

I'm very happy to be listed in IForgotTheDomain and the USERID tagging is perfect. You just KEEP coming up with ideas, don't you!? As far as I am concerned, you're the defacto Revver blog site.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home