Friday, April 07, 2006

iFilm: the Antithesis to YouTube

Since I just ranted about YouTube, I feel like I have to point out some significant differences between iFilm and YouTube. Now let me be clear that I've got a love-hate relationship with iFilm. I once stopped eating or going to the bathroom for a few days because I was so addicted to iFilm. Then I got so annoyed by all the ads, I gave up. And this was pre-broadband so half my time was spent waiting.

But here's where I'm intrigued about iFilm, and I think it will coexist with Revver. iFilm is taking a completely different approach than YouTube. Where YouTube takes any video, iFilm is very selective. And iFilm is totally commercializing itself. Here's a great example... today's "video of the day" features a trailor to the Simpsons movie and a mock PSA from "The Office." Is it stuff ripped from TV by some basement dweller in Dayton? No- it's legitimate. In fact, it's paid placement by the networks and film companies. Check out the ads wrapped around this piece from "The Office."

iFilm viewers will eventually realize that they're looking at an ad to see an ad with an ad wrapped around it. But at least the ad in the middle is funny. So I'll be back for more. The marketer in me loves it, and the video-watching nerd in me will tolerate a lot of ads to get a laugh.

4 Comments:

At 4/07/2006 12:37 PM, Anonymous AquaDad said...

I like iFilm. I understand it. I like how it's organized. I still don't "get" YouTube yet -- I don't like how it's organized. I don't like the ads in iFilm, but there's a lot more quality to what you're going to see, so I don't mind sitting through an ad occasionally. Of course, I like Revver the most -- and it can improve in how it's organized too -- plus, it's going to make me into a dollarnaire.

 
At 4/07/2006 12:47 PM, Blogger Nalts said...

Pepsi shot from my nose when I read the term "Dollornaire." And the weird thing is that I wasn't even drinking Pepsi.

 
At 4/07/2006 2:06 PM, Blogger Marquisdejolie said...

Haha! Revver has already made me a dollarnaire. Now I'm aiming to be a two dollarnaire.

 
At 4/08/2006 2:07 PM, Anonymous AquaDad said...

If, during my lifetime, I can make Pepsi shoot from one person's nose, it will all be worth it.

...Dang, now I need a new life goal.!

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home