Saturday, April 01, 2006

Motion.tv Threatens Blogger for "Infringement"

"Be careful of what you say about motion.tv in your blog"

That's the "lead" of the love note I just received about Motion.tv.
Weeks ago Shawn McCoy, a Content Manager from Motion TV, contacted me about uploading my videos on his site. I gave him and Motion.tv a plug on Revverberation with this March 13 post highlighting MotionTV. Shawn posted a response.

I previously had a logo of Motion TV on this post, but just removed it. Below is the message from a friendly CEO of Apollo Interactive in LA (not sure how they're tied to Motion.tv). Needless to say, you won't be hearing anything else on Revverberation about Motion.tv. I'm pulling the link off CubeBreak.com too.

Initially I was intruiged by Motion.tv as a worthy competitor of Revver, and brought it to attention to Revverberation readers despite this blog being about Revver. I'm not sure why they took offense to the post. It gave them free access to a core group of content creators. That said, you won't ever find any Nalts videos on MotionTV even if it becomes the next eBay.

Here's the note I received on March 14 (I just found it in my SPAM folder). I'm glad to know Yahoo mail filters cranky messages as spam!

----------------------------------

please remove the motion.tv logo from your blog immediately.
(you are in violation of Motion.TV's intellectual property rights)

i also strongly suggest that you be careful of what you say about
motion.tv in your blog as your remarks may constitute unfair business
practices.

thank you

--
Justin B. Woo
woo@apollointeractive.com

Chief Executive Officer
Apollo Interactive, Inc.
"America's Leading Interactive Agency"

(Out of respect and fear, I've removed his phone number from this post).

9 Comments:

At 4/01/2006 12:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like the word "motion" in their name refers not to "movement, move," but rather "pursuit or chase."

http://www.wordreference.com/definition/motion

 
At 4/01/2006 3:24 PM, Blogger Get Paid For Your Videos said...

Motion.tv seems like a big rip-off of Revver. After checking out the ambigious language on how one gets paid at that site, I am very positive I won't be doing any business with them people...

Loyal Revver-a-holic

fuzzy aka fawzi momani

 
At 4/01/2006 8:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

nalts:

all i asked you to do was remove the motion.tv logo - if you are going to make "false statements" about motion.tv. if you would like to speak with me directly or any of the motion.tv users please feel free to email me... i am sure you will find that the amount of revenue created by the 50% of the clicks on an ad at end of a video is not as much as that of a cost per impression campaign. furthermore, we compensate members on a total account reaching $20 (not each video) thus not every video needs to be a "viral masterpiece" for the content creator to benefit.

please call me tuesday and we can discuss you changing the blog name to motiontvberation.com

justin

 
At 4/02/2006 1:11 AM, Anonymous guess said...

You better watch out, Nalts, they might steal more than just your business plan.

;)

 
At 4/02/2006 5:18 AM, Blogger Nalts said...

Okay so now we're seeing a lighter, albiet quite competitive, face of MotionTV (in the above post from Justin re changing the name of this blog from Revverberation to MotionTVberation).

People, people... There is room for a few "pay for video content" models here. This isn't like eBay or Amazon where one player will dominate and destroy.

A few different models will evolve- each with unique relationships between the "golden 3": advertisers, content providers and broadcast vehicles (from YouTube portals to Cable TV video-on-demand).

Justin- I'm still not clear on what "false statements" I made; I'm a former journalist and will certainly correct any specific inaccurate point(s). It seems that you're taking offense to my skepticism (and that of others) about the lack of specifics on the MotionTV revenue sharing model.

There are two apparent distinctions between Revver and MotionTV:
1) MotionTV does not have a $20 minimum (which we know has been a problem for many).
2) Revver is a CPC (cost per click) and MotionTV is a CPM (cost per thousand impressions). As a buyer of online media in my day job, I tend to prefer the accountability of CPC. But there are many products/companies that need the reach and branding that CPC affords. Most brands buy both. Banners and impressions get you good brand recall and awareness, but click thru is really bad (for generating traffic or transacting).

So here's the challenge I'd offer a neutral video creator of Revver or MotionTV. Don't annouce yourself, but quietly submit your videos to both. Tell us what happens after a few weeks. Clearly video creators will ultimately be drawn to the place that affords them the most reach and revenue. That said, I think there are also a number of Revver loyalists that are drawn to the entrepreneurial and "community feel" of it. I for one feel like I'd never stop submitting to Revver even if I found another way to get additional exposure or income. They were at it first, and I've interacted with about 8 people from Revver- all of whom were responsive and friendly (from the founder to the receptionist).

 
At 4/02/2006 11:24 PM, Anonymous AquaDad said...

Boy, I'm sure learning a lot about this business!!!

Go Nalts!

...and Revver!

...and maybe Motion.TV!

Maybe it should be Naltsberation?

 
At 4/26/2006 9:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Blogger, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!
I have acredit center site. It pretty much covers credit center related subjects.
Come and check it out if you get time :-)
Best regards!

 
At 5/01/2006 12:01 AM, Anonymous TheJacobMan said...

I actually began using Motion.TV before I'd heard about Revver. I like them both, but what I don't understand about Motion.TV is that you can go through their entire website and never see a single add. Apparently I made $12 last month but I'm wondering where is the money coming from since there are no advertisers? I don't know, maybe I just don't notice the ads? Oh well, I personally will be quite happy if about a dozen more Pay-For-Vid sites spring up.
(Nalts rocks)

 
At 2/11/2007 9:21 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Like your site about cash for home.
I've got a new site about cash for home.
Please come check it out.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home