Saturday, April 29, 2006

The Power of Web 2.0


When I was about 14 years old I saved up for my first Radio Shack mixer. I set up my own station called W3Z- the studio was my bedroom and my broadcast channel was a 200 foot wire I hung across the trees and into my neighbors house. Like any good DJ I knew my audience well. Partially because it was my neighbor, John, his brother, and sometimes his mom and dad and their maid Virgy.
My early broadcasts featured voice impersonations, prank calls to Radio Shack, live appearances by my parents screaming at me, and I’d sometimes tap into my sisters’ phone conversations and share them with my neighbors live. It was commercial free, and I’d even play music if I ran out of material – and I rarely paid royalties.
Now we have the Web 2.0. Barriers to broadcasting have dropped. Anyone can be a citizen journalist, a global DJ, and even a viral video star seen my millions on YouTube. The cost to entry is no more than my first bedroom radio station. Podcasting, videocasts, and online radio has created a global audience for anyone with a voice, a message and talent. Now I’ve found Revver. I’m still churning out the same low-quality entertainment, but instead of reaching 5 people next door via a wire, I’ve got a global audience of about twice as many people.

4 Comments:

At 4/29/2006 12:10 PM, Blogger Marquisdejolie said...

Hahaha! "a global audience of about twice as many people" Hahaha. Great punchline!

 
At 4/29/2006 1:04 PM, Blogger Marquisdejolie said...

I did the same thing! Only my audience was much smaller and of a different species (my German Shepherd, Jennifer) so I switched to print media.

 
At 4/29/2006 1:36 PM, Blogger Nalts said...

I love the rotating photos, Marquis. Yeah- so you're big in China but I'm still big with Vergy the maid.

 
At 4/29/2006 9:51 PM, Blogger Marquisdejolie said...

Not Vergi THE Maid!? Wow!

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home