Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Reaction to "Inside Cubebreak"

Forgive me for a somewhat self indulgent post. I was struck by some of the Revverberation posts about "Inside CubeBreak" because I violated every rule of a Revver video. There were inside jokes, it was too long, and I assembled the most dysfunctional cast I could find.

Anyway, someone just forwarded me an e-mail thread that was bouncing around my dayjob office. It was swawned by the the "Inside Cubebreak" spoof I did playing multiple personalities. What makes this so funny is that I wasn't copied on any of these, and finally my boss mentioned the thread to me, and sent it:

My e-mail to select work colleagues: "I worked with my entire team at CubeBreak to prepare this video. It's a little long, but I wanted to make sure everyone got air time. Link to "Inside CubeBreak."

My colleague to his friends (and my boss): "I finally figured out what 'new media' is."

My boss: "I finally figured out what happens when Kevin goes too long without his meds. Of course, some of these alternate personalities look pretty good. Can we just keep a couple of them, and put the original in mothballs somewhere?"

An executive director in our group: "I think he/they need to some abs exercises."

My boss:
True, but I'm hardly in a position to pass judgment about that. Still, I didn't take off my shirt, shoot markers across the room with my tummy, then post it on the internet, either. Maybe I am in a position to pass judgment.

P.S. This is helping balance out the horrible feedback that "America's Funniest Bloopers" is getting on YouTube (more than 2500 views, but about 12 negative comments). I'm not sure I like the comments-posting functionality. Let's not ad that feature to Revver. I'd rather live and die by the views/ratings than the random thoughts by people who missed the whole point of AFB... it was a SPOOF on the stupidity of AFV, people!

10 Comments:

At 4/18/2006 12:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't take it to heart. Film-makers deal with it all the time. Imagine having spent years on a film project only to get lousy reviews or boxoffice. Just make video's you care about. No matter what, you must be your own best customer when it comes to creative expression because if no one likes your work at least you can be satisfied with it personally.

 
At 4/18/2006 12:26 PM, Blogger Nalts said...

I think if you did a survey of Revver video posters, most of the original content creators are motivated primarily around creative expression. Most of us are doing this stuff part-time and would love to be compensated. But we'd probably do it anyway... and just assault our friends and neighbors with our videos. At least they're more interesting than the 2-hour slide shows of China trips that my neighbors used to play us each year.

 
At 4/18/2006 12:41 PM, Blogger Marquisdejolie said...

I like the comments I get (from the Brand X video hosting sites), but then I'm in to weird, bizarre, obtuse and ignorant. It's all just fodder for your next video. I like fodder (see marquisdejolie.blogspot.com/ )

Hahaha! Your employer must really like you. The ones I've had would've shipped me off to Amarillo had I started shooting markers out my belly button at work.

 
At 4/18/2006 1:57 PM, Blogger Marquisdejolie said...

Just found the comments on your YouTube AFV video (I keep forgetting to scroll down). Haha! Those were some real dim bulbs shining their illuminations on your work. Priceless! You should do a video on people who don't get videos . . . call it something like "My Favorite Comments". It should go down good with the people-who-can't-think-past-skateboard-videos
crowd!

 
At 4/18/2006 4:21 PM, Anonymous Dawn Westlake said...

You can always turn the comments off on youtube.com. Just choose the option that you want to be able to say who gets to post and who doesn't, before you upload. Oh, and you can BLOCK people from ever seeing your work, too. THAT's the ultimate power. As we say in the film community in LA, "If they can't take a joke, FEA!" ;-) And yes, revver, NEVER add a comment section. For we fragile artists, ignorance is bliss. Elizabeth Taylor said it best: "I don't read reviews. Were they to be good, I might believe them, and were they to be bad, my feelings would just be hurt."

 
At 4/18/2006 5:30 PM, Blogger Marquisdejolie said...

Is that FEA as in "Fuck Every Asshole" or FEH, as in Yiddish for "a curse on their fathers' testicles" ?

 
At 4/18/2006 6:52 PM, Blogger Nalts said...

You know, I had a feeling you could kill comments. I don't believe in it. I've done it once on Revverberation because someone took a shot at the MotionTV guy that I thought was below the belt. But I feel like folks have as much of a right to trash my stuff as I have to post it. I have to love someone pointing out that the dim bulb's comment that the fake electricity (which is one of about 10 standard Mac effects) was running the wrong direction. Busted I am.

 
At 4/18/2006 11:28 PM, Anonymous AquaDad said...

Don't let the bastards grind you down...or your friends either. I'm having so much fun finally making videos and having a place to show them. I show them to my family and friends. Some give me "honest" comments. Some don't say anything. Some give me positive comments. Some can't get Quicktime to work. It won't stop me from making more videos. I'm having too much fun. I love to check the Stats (though lately very disappointing). I'm having fun with you guys on Revverberation and watching your videos too (Nalts, James, Dawn). It's all good. I know why I make my videos. Not everybody will get them. But I'm finally doing something creative. And Revver dangles the carrot of earning some cashola. This all dropped out of the sky because I was watching Nalts' Hungry Turtle video.

 
At 4/19/2006 8:20 AM, Anonymous Adriana said...

This is bloody brilliant! Thanks so much for doing this.

As a result, I think there is a hope for the company you work for... ;-)

 
At 4/19/2006 2:05 PM, Blogger Nalts said...

Adriana found me- just when I thought my secret Blog world and my day job would never meet. To throw in a little plug, Adriana runs http://bigblogcompany.net/ and helps companies (like mine) approach citizen-created online media. You have to love her logo- a bird on a hippo.

Do I need to pay you royalties on this one?

http://www.revver.com/video/19181/3331/

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home