Saturday, April 22, 2006

TV & Web: When the Wall Comes Tumbling Down


We know it's only a matter of time before the artificial walls tumble down between the world of "video on demand" (Comcast, TiVo, etc.) and the world of online video viewing (YouTube, Revver, etc.). Last night I saw an interesting move in the right direction.

I've known for a while that my TiVo can connect with my home network, but I kept buying the wrong adapters and didn't see a lot of value in seeing my desktop photos on my television. Last night I got a notice on my Tivo that tells me these services are getting broader- with an expanded partnership between TiVo and Yahoo. It's possible Yahoo might not even need TiVo for this, or that Comcast or Verizon integrate broadband television and put Yahoo into the dark ages. Still, I'll be buying a TiVo adapter this afternoon, and I hope that I'll soon be able to browse web videos (and the web) on TiVo via my "always on" broadband connection.

Imagine when we're watching each others' Revver videos from a reclined position on the couch or bed- and when they're done we'll use the remote control to click the ad and buy a product (which will automatically ships to our address on file with TiVo). Suddenly 20-40 second videos might not be the model. Maybe we'll see more popular 5-minute videos?

Technorati Tags: , , , , ,

5 Comments:

At 4/22/2006 9:00 AM, Anonymous AquaDad said...

I'd like to be in Hawaii while I'm doing all this fun stuff, watching the videos...funded by my Revver income. :)

 
At 4/22/2006 10:08 AM, Blogger Nalts said...

Dollonaires are advised not to spend more than 50% of their Revver income buying a Hawaiin paper umbrella for their pina colada.

 
At 4/22/2006 12:29 PM, Blogger Marquisdejolie said...

I would really like a longer format section in Revver for my poetry readings. A poet's section, away from all the hubbub and drama of vacuum cleaner replacement bag product reviews is just what I need.

Oh, and when you're in Hawaii, Aquadad, visit the U.S. Vets transitional housing for veterans facility there and tell Dirty Dick (you can't miss him--giant 300 pound tatooed long-haired genial biker dude) to get his ass back to L.A. where he belongs.

 
At 4/22/2006 4:44 PM, Anonymous AquaDad said...

Hey, my almost $10 of Revver Money which I haven't technically earned yet is worth more than a paper umbrella...

Actually, it is worth less than a paper umbrella.


Marquisdejolie, I think we should have several "lands" in Revver. Poetryland. Bizarreland. Funnyland. With various formats available: long, short, short-short, and Haiku.

I'm never going to Hawaii. Does Dirty Dick accept postcards from Revver?

 
At 4/23/2006 10:46 AM, Blogger Marquisdejolie said...

He's great for fixing your hog or making enemies disappear, but he hasn't quite caught on to this internet fad yet.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home