Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Baby Bird

I have to acknowledge my wife's friend Stacy for this video of a baby bird. It's interesting on two levels: 1) You don't often see a bird this young, and now that Stacy's daughter's scent is all over it I imagine it's mama won't touch it. 2) I give Stacy credit for including the last piece of the clip- where her son tries to strangle her daughter.

Almost every time I try to make a video there's some form of attack between my kids, but I edit them out. Kudos for including that part, Stacy. I hope your dog enjoyed his lunch.

2 Comments:

At 6/13/2006 7:21 AM, Blogger Stacey said...

While searching the web for symptoms of avian flu, I discovered the following on snopes.com, a site that dispells urban myths and legends:

"Claim: Handling by a human will cause a baby bird to be rejected by its mother.

Status: False.

Origins: Children are routinely cautioned that they must not touch baby birds found in the wild, lest such actions cause a mother bird to reject her young or abandon her nest. This bit of lore confidently asserts that wild birds are so sensitive to the dangers posed by humans that they will fly off, never to return, if they catch even a faint whiff of human scent around the nest or on their young.

Which is hogwash.

Mother birds will not reject their babies because they smell human scent on them, nor will they refuse to set on eggs that have been handled by a person. Most birds have a limited sense of smell and cannot detect human scent."

 
At 6/13/2006 11:22 PM, Blogger Marquisdejolie said...

But somewhere in Oklahoma, I read, it is against the law for Mockingbirds to sing after 6 p.m. within the city limits. I forget the name of the town.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home