Friday, July 07, 2006

The Sacrifice of Making Videos (Hunting Series)

People often ask how I have time to make so many short videos. The truth is, it typically takes about 1-2 hours per edited minute of a video. This depends, of course, on how packaged a video is (and packaging doesn't always equate with the "viralness" of the piece. This time includes conceiving, scripting, shooting, editing, scoring and uploading. I usually skip "story boarding" because I have a mental idea and kinda let the footage dictate where the video goes.

In the case of this 3-part "how to hunt" series, however, the sacrifice wasn't just time. Here's the set up (and the output CLEARLY wasn't worth the turmoil):

  1. We were on our last of a 4-day "vacation" in a hunting camp in Alabama. I was getting freaked out by the stuffed dead animals collected by my cousins who enjoy shooting things -- especially if they're alive and furry.
  2. I had to beg my brother, a priest in the Vatican, to help me on the intros. He agreed on the condition that a) it took less than 5 minutes, b) he didn't speak c) he wasn't doing anything beyond the intros, and most importantly d) wasn't identified by name. Thanks, Chris.
  3. My wife very reluctantly agreed to stop her manic packing and cleaning, so she could shoot the cougar capture. She was pretty livid because she couldn't find her shoes and she kept stepping on pine cones. Then I ripped my finger on the wire frame of the stuffed cougar.
  4. The babysitter took our four kids for what was supposed to be a 15-minute golf-cart ride. She got lost in the woods, and we called 911 when they didn't return an hour and a half later. I finally took our rental van into the woods with the GPS and found them. They didn't seem bothered as my wife and I who were terrified.
So here they are. Not worth the experience and a bit corny. But maybe they'll get some clicks...

Part 1: How to Hunt Cougars. I don't think I spelled couger right, but more importantly I don't think it's a cougor anyway.

Part 2: How to Hunt Turkey


Part 3: How to Hunt Deer


Final: The Out Takes


8 Comments:

At 7/07/2006 12:20 PM, Blogger Marquisdejolie said...

Hahaha! Something 'bout that clean 'Bama air pixelates you, dudn't it!? Are they gonna let you back in the state next year?

Funny stuff!

 
At 7/07/2006 12:20 PM, Blogger Marquisdejolie said...

Hahaha! Something 'bout that clean 'Bama air pixelates you, dudn't it!? Are they gonna let you back in the state next year?

Funny stuff!

 
At 7/08/2006 8:23 PM, Blogger Nalts said...

Yeah- lesson one. Don't shoot into the sun even if there happens to be a table handy to act as a tripod. Second- avoid Alabama in July. The dust is wicked.

I found a road (route 4) near Brewton Alabama that is literally half eaten by a river. It's not even closed. Amazing stuff. My wife wouldn't let me get good footage because she was convinced the van was going to fall into the river.

 
At 7/08/2006 8:23 PM, Blogger Nalts said...

Yeah- lesson one. Don't shoot into the sun even if there happens to be a table handy to act as a tripod. Second- avoid Alabama in July. The dust is wicked.

I found a road (route 4) near Brewton Alabama that is literally half eaten by a river. It's not even closed. Amazing stuff. My wife wouldn't let me get good footage because she was convinced the van was going to fall into the river.

 
At 7/10/2006 11:07 PM, Blogger Marquisdejolie said...

I lived in a mining town called Gilman in Colorado a long time ago. Population 300, I'd guess. Built on an outcropping of mountain surrounded on three sides by steep, steep cliffs.

Part of the town slid down the mountain once. The townfolk just roped off the parts of their houses that hadn't disappeared and continued living on the edge.

Sleepwalking, even in your own house, was fatal in Gilman.

 
At 7/11/2006 2:02 AM, Blogger Nalts said...

If that isn't a video yet, it needs to be. What a great closing sentence.

 
At 7/12/2006 4:54 PM, Blogger Marquisdejolie said...

Thyanks. I'm just waiting for a publisher to fall out of the sky and into my lap.

 
At 7/12/2006 4:55 PM, Blogger Marquisdejolie said...

(and a proofreader, too)

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home