Monday, August 14, 2006

Sobering Review of Revver by Sci-Tech Today

A sobering review of Revver by Sci-Tech Today that points out the solid business model but lack of popularity and content. Here's the most important point the article makes:

To solve its problem, Revver needs a bigger audience to submit, watch, and rate videos. That way, the most-watched category will have more variety, and users will be able to find higher quality videos there, which would garner better ratings. More clips would also keep the recent-updates section dynamic, preventing individual submitters from dominating the space for the day... Offering to split advertising revenue is apparently not enough to attract the needed audience. This could be because not enough people are clicking on the ads to make submitting videos very lucrative...Unfortunately, the success of social networking sites shows that one of the biggest ways to attract an audience is to have an audience that talks about the site and likes it and recommends it to friends. Revver needs to do something to get people talking about it positively.

Fair points. All remedied by a soon-to-come "fashion makeover" and (I hope) some investment in promoting the site. The article overlooks that Revver is trying to be a facilitator not a portal, and mistakenly calls it a "two-year-old" company when the beta's been live for under a year and the actual site hasn't launched. But it makes some fair points about the "hit or miss" content.

Now... did you think I was going to blog about this piece without some self promotion? Here's another part of the article...
On a recent visit to the two-year-old site, there were only 21,106 videos in a database, according to a ticker at the top of the site. YouTube, by comparison, has roughly 70 million. And of the videos that Revver does have, few are entertaining or informative, and they often tend to come from the same batch of contributors. ... There was, however, an entertaining video in the editor's-picks section called "The Revver Interns" in which a man orders around kids all seemingly under age seven. At one point, one of the kids is picking his nose, and the man asks, "Are you picking me a winner?" At another point, the kids get into a shouting match about sales. It was a cute concept that led the video to receive nearly 600 views. Many other clips had far less.
P.S. The author must have kids. They are indeed under 7.

9 Comments:

At 8/14/2006 7:50 AM, Blogger Marquisdejolie said...

You get all the glory ... uh, press.

 
At 8/14/2006 10:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It doesn't come cheaply, James. He had to sleep with the writer. And it's a woman that makes videos of herself smearing cat food on her face.

 
At 8/15/2006 10:51 AM, Blogger Marquisdejolie said...

Brrrrrrr! NOW I feel sober.

 
At 8/19/2006 10:10 AM, Blogger steven edward streight said...

Okay, call me easy and drippy sentimental, but I'm hooked.

This is high caliber office humor, and I kept asking myself how you got the kids to perform so well.

Every aspect of this video is superb.

As a beginner vlog artist, I have much to learn here.

I am now an unpaid enthusiast.

Watch out. I'm a gonna promote Revver and upload videos (if I can learn new tricks) to Revver, and post Revver player embeds to my blog.

Like this one.

I already have used one or two Revver videos (is Invisible Engines part of your group?).

 
At 8/19/2006 10:11 AM, Blogger steven edward streight said...

You need: (1) a dialogue box that tells users when an act is successfully completed (like rating a video)

(2) comments enabled for each video

(3) all that other shit that YouTube has: Most Watched, Most Subscribed, Most Flamed, Most Stupid, Most Viewed.

 
At 8/19/2006 11:29 AM, Blogger Nalts said...

Thanks for the note, Steven. There's a Revver 1.0 coming out in a couple weeks that should be addressing all of the things you're outlining. Me and Marquis have been working on the source code for weeks. Marquis- can you upload the FTP data files for the comment script? I'm still getting a Python DDB permissions error.

Thanks,
K

 
At 8/19/2006 3:36 PM, Blogger steven edward streight said...

I'm ready to burn down your box so you can think and act outside it.

I Web Analyze for Food.

I am promoting this video all over my blogo haunts, like Chartreuse blog. You ought to go over to that blog, it's all about new media ala Calacanis.

You should consider blogo-promo guerilla strategems, like posting comments at new media type blogs. I'll do it for you for free, until I get exhausted and my wife yells "how much money did you make doing all that?"

I cannot find The Blogger Interns on the Revver site. I tried typing:

The Revver Interns

in the search site text entry box. Nope.

I tried tag "nalts". Nope.

So I had to go to Go/History in my Firefox browser to navigate to this location again.

Maybe consider having a special location in the Revver site main page that contains, or links to, all the Revver promo type videos available.

You could be The Office of the YouTube generation.

I'm championing you. Just signed up today for a Revver account.

 
At 2/03/2007 3:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your article is very informative and helped me further.

Thanks, David

 
At 2/06/2007 10:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

social networking online

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home